Saturday, March 7, 2015

21 Day Fix - Day 8 Bonus Post & Recipes

Today you get a bonus post. I shared my progress pics earlier today but didn't include my daily review. So, you get my review and a couple of recipes. Two dinners and another easy Shakeology recipe.

I meal planned for week two of our 21 Day Fix last night. I have to say it was easier than last week. I did sort of cut and past meals I knew I could count on to keep it simple. Supportive Husband Guy really does not mind having the same thing for breakfast every day or for lunch most weeks. While I prefer more variety in my week I went with his method so I had a starting point. Then I  filled in the gaps. Grocery shopping today was easy. I went huge shopping last week. Our cupboards were bare before we started this little challenge. I also found I didn't have to check my menu as frequently to see what I could eat today. It was much more intuitive. That was encouraging and gave me hope for when the 21 days are over that I will have reestablished my healthy food habits.

Okay, so, recipes. I have three for you. The first is the pizza from Friday. This isn't a cooking blog so I will probably not do this the "right" way according to all the foodie sites around the interwebs but it's how I do it. So much cooking is about feel and your own tastes and preferences. Please use these as a jumping point for inspiration. I absolutely do not expect you to follow these to the letter. I don't which is why making a recipe for something as simple as pizza was a challenge.

21 Day Fix Pizza
Ingredients:
Dough
3 C whole grain white flour
1C warm water (temperature is important)
1 packet yeast
1 rounded tsp sugar (I honestly eyeball this. You can also use honey but it is to feed the yeast and I've found white sugar just gets the best results.)
a few pinches of salt
1 TBSP olive oil
Toppings
low salt all natural tomato sauce
1 blue cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 green pepper (the pepper and onion filled a green cup)
1/4 onion diced (I sauteed my pepper and onion but you don't have to if you like them raw on pizza)
1 green cup full of shredded spinach
1 red cup full of low salt ham (I rolled my sliced ham and cut it with circles which made nice little spirals to top my pizza)
Steps
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
1. Google directions on how to make pizza dough. Seriously, I do this by memory and feel. I'm neither a wonderful home cook nor a chef. I've made my share of mistakes with this over the ten years I've been doing it. If you really want to cheat add all the ingredients into a bread maker and set to dough setting. I did that for years. Super super easy. One tip you will want is with whole grain flour you want to sift it. If you don't it can make a really dense difficult to work with dough.
2. Once you dough is made set it aside for a little. Be sure to cover it. If you do not let the dough rest for a little it isn't as elastic to roll out. You can skip this step if you have used a bread machine.
3. Once dough is ready use your yellow 21 Day Fix cup to portion out the dough. My dough made 5 pizza crusts.
4. Roll out pizza crust to desired thickness. I made mine thin so there was plenty of room for toppings.
5. place on pan with parchment or a dusting or corn meal so the crust doesn't stick.
6. use a tablespoon of sauce and swirl around crust.
7. Add all desired non-cheese toppings.
8. Sprinkled cheese over the top of the pizza
9 Bake about 10-15 minutes. Yet again instinct and feel comes into play here. I set my timer for 10 minutes and go from there. My oven can be inconsistent its old and cheap but makes good food.
Eat it!

Second recipe is a total bonus recipe. I didn't even think of including it until my very almost 11 year old daughter went back for seconds and filled her bowl without even bothering with a second serving or rice. So, there is no picture unless you want one of the empty cast iron pan. This kid can be picky when it comes to stir fry.

21 Day Fix Chicken Veggie Stir fry
Ingredients
1 lb ground chicken
2 bags frozen mixed stir fry veggies (fresh veggies are totally awesome in stirfry but I have to watch my budget and my fridge capacity. The frozen ones were on sale for a super score so I jumped on them)
2TBSP coconut oil (Do not panic. This made enough food to feed my entire family of 5 even though 2 of them were not home. Remember that huge second serving by my middle child?)
spice mix (1/2 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp ground ginger)
low sodium soy sauce (this was added to taste. I don't think the entire thing had more than 3 tsp of soy sauce in it.)
1 C brown rice (You can make however much brown rice you want to feed however many people you need to feed. I made 1 C and was informed it was not enough.)
Steps
1. Cook Rice
2. Cook chicken in 1 TBSP coconut oil in large pan
3. When chicken is cooked through add veggies, 2nd TBSP coconut oil and sprinkle all the spice mix over the chicken and veggies. Cook through.
4. Measure rice into your bowl with the yellow cup and top with 1 or 2 green cups of the chicken veggies stir fry. Drizzle soy sauce over top. I used 2 green cups and was heavy on the veggies in my scooping.
Super easy and so tasty.

Lastly the Shakeology recipe of the day. You know you are going to get one every day its on the menu and today was that day. It was my first chance trying the chocolate. So good. I really don't understand the complaints that I've heard from other people. I've tried three flavors now and all have been taste bud pleasing. I'm looking forward to trying more of the flavors next month.

I have completed all seven of the workouts included in the 21 Day Fix challenge pack. I know what is coming now. Today was Dirty 30. This is my favorite workout out of the seven. I feel stronger this round. I used a heavier weight today for most of the exercises than I did last Saturday and I even considered moving up one more weight but through better of it. Which is good because as I type this I can feel the soreness that is strength growing in my upper back and shoulders.This is one that I will do long after I am finished with my 21 Day Fix challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's talk.